“Believe!” – Matthew 1:18-25 – Pastor Larry Kassebaum
The problem with pride
Joseph’s first inclination would have been badly misguided.
Because of his humility, Joseph played a key role in our salvation story.
It takes a miracle/messenger
The radical transformation in Joseph is God’s goal for all of us.
God enables us to cross the border from the possible to the impossible.
Now it’s our turn
Joseph’s story reminds us that obedience is better than understanding.
Develop the attitude that problems are always loaded with possibilities.
1. How would you have felt if you had been in Joseph’s shoes as the Christmas story began to unfold?
2. How was Joseph’s “faith” challenge similar or different from Mary’s?
3. Why do you suppose some scholars think getting Mary and Joseph to “trust and obey” was bigger miracle than the virgin birth?
4. What comfort and encouragement can you gain from observing that Mary and Joseph left a powerful legacy by making great personal sacrifices in order to serve God?
5. Mary and Joseph both needed angels (messengers) to prepare them for what was being asked of them? How can you be more open to God’s messengers in your life? How can you be His messenger to others?