“Biblical Faith vs. Blind Faith” – Matthew 5:3-12; Hosea 4:1-6
“…. Since the fall every man has been a philosopher, for he has taken his experience of the world and his knowledge of reality — which he has succeeded in describing scientifically — as a standard by which to measure God. But the intellect does not suffice to grasp the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; He must be apprehended through the Scriptures. The “God” created by man is a false god of his own making. (“Luther: Man Between God and the Devil,” 170)
You are what you believe
You belief system unconsciously shapes all your decisions based on what you believe to be real and true.
Jesus (and Martin Luther) warned about outdated, out of order and faulty belief systems.
2 Corinthians 5:17
“You have heard…. But I say….”
Jesus wants to change us from the inside out.
If you want your life to be blessed, get your belief in line with reality and truth not popular opinion.
- Learn the truth
- Discern what is false
- Turn from the world to the Word
- Concern yourself with God’s agenda
1 Corinthians 14:20
- As you look at some of the distortions of a belief system that contributes to terrorism, what are some of the parallels with what Luther addressed during the Reformation?
- What are the differences between hedonism, humanism and materialism?
- What are some of the ways Jesus challenged these belief systems?
- How do these belief systems impact you on a daily basis?
- What are some of the ways your life is affected by the faulty belief systems of others?
- In a recent survey 62% of Americans said they were spiritual but only 16% said they make decisions based on the Bible, what does that tell you about why people behave as they do?
- What are some practical steps you can take to prepare yourself to help others out of the maze that is created by faulty belief systems?