“Tripped Up by Temptation” – Luke 15:11-13 – Pastor Kassebaum
We trip on little things
A spiritual trip is far more destructive than a physical trip.
The devil is skilled at using the following “trip hazards”:
- Contradictions to God’s Word
- False promises
Look to Jesus
Through His life and teachings, Jesus both modeled a Godly life and paid the price of our poor choices.
Jesus inspires us by His commitment to gratitude and obedience.
Know your weaknesses
The devil will make sure there is an appropriate temptation for your unique combination of fear and greed.
Learn to put more trust into God’s Word than your own willpower or wisdom.
1 Corinthians 10:13b “But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”
1. The younger son in the Luke 15 story saw his inheritance as a way to a better, more glamorous life. What was wrong with the “glasses” he was wearing?
2. He was tempted by what he imagined and when he tripped, ended up in a pig sty. Where does temptation often lead?
3. What lessons have you learned from your experience of “being tripped by temptation?”
4. When we follow temptation, who is really leading us? How can we overcome that urge?
5. What does it take to actually avoid a situation in which you know you will be tempted?
6. Why do you need to address both your attitude and your setting to best deal with temptation?
7. How will God give us/you a way out?