“Blessed in the Ordinary” – Matthew 5:1-12 – Pastor Larry Kassebaum
Like a good rabbi, Jesus did most of his important and official teaching sitting down.
In these words, Jesus takes life situations we normally would like to avoid and unlocks their treasure.
Jesus offers true joy
God’s grace is revealed most powerfully because of pain and through pain.
In our pain, we re-discover God’s power to comfort and heal and the value of loving friends.
Nobody is lucky all the time.
Nothing can break the beatitudes but our lives will break when we live contrary to their spirit.
1. How do the beatitudes help you understand the saying, “you can’t control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you”?
2. How have you found yourself believing that you “are not blessed” when these things have happened to you?
3. How radically do these words from Jesus contradict the normal thought pattern of most unbelievers?
4. How would embracing the truth behind all 8 of these beatitudes transform your thinking and behavior?
5. What are some of the examples of Jesus “practicing what he preached” with regard to these teachings?
6. Which beatitudes are you best at? Worst at?
7. What are some of the ways you’ve become aware of the blessings described by Jesus?