“The Ascension” – Acts 1:3-11 – Pastor Larry Kassebaum
You can’t just stay here!
A crisis is composed of both danger and opportunity.
Like disciples of all ages, the eleven underestimated God’s power and their potential to change the world.
By the help of God
The Holy Spirit equips us with power and passion.
We need only to witness to what we’ve seen and heard.
Coming and going
Our Christian lifestyle needs to allow for two important rhythms.
We need intentional close proximity with God as well as intentional close proximity to those we seek to bless.
- What similarities do you see between Jesus’ return to heaven (Ascension) and his coming to earth (Christmas)?
- Why do you think we devote so much more energy/attention to Christmas and so little to the Ascension?
- What was going through the disciples minds as they stared up into the empty skies?
- Why were angels needed to direct the disciples to what they needed to do next? Where in your life might you need a message/messenger from God about your future?
- In what ways was the Ascension an ending? In what ways was it a beginning?
- What comfort or encouragement do you take from the angels’ words in verse 11?
- Jesus trusted His Kingdom to these eleven men, they felt unprepared but excelled in faithfulness. Do you realize that same kingdom is now in your hands? How does that make you feel?