“The Upper Room” – Luke 24:36-49 – Pastor Larry Kassebaum
An unexpected visitor
Jesus’ appearances after the resurrection address unbelief and false belief.
Note the scriptures are careful to show Jesus was both human and divine.
The resurrection of the body
A resurrection faith is built on a foundation of hands, feet and fish.
According to Luke, the resurrection is more physical than spiritual.
You are His witnesses
What will you say to a world that finds it easier to believe in reincarnation and reanimation than in the resurrection of the body?
You will find power in remembering you are witnessing to a person not a cause.
1. What surprises you most about Jesus’ appearance to His disciples in the upper room?
2. Looking at this incident, what would you say are the biggest barriers in believing in a “resurrected” Jesus?
3. How do you understand that the resurrected Jesus was both familiar and yet often unrecognizable?
4. Looking at your faith now, how are you different/similar to those earliest disciples?
5. What can this story teach us about the fact that Jesus was fully human and fully divine? Which side of that equation do you tilt?
6. What might this story teach us about our attitudes toward cremation? What happens after death?
7. How can you prepare yourself to witness to unbelief and false beliefs?