“OUR NEED TO TRUST” – Pastor Steve Lien
Luke 12:22-34; Psalm 136:1-9, 26
CHANGE IS A FACT OF LIFE
We are people created for eternity, yet our world and our lives are constantly changing.
OUR GOD IS NEVER CHANGING
The Psalmist, too, lived in a changing world, but he knew and had experienced a changeless God:
“Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations. Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the whole world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.” (Psalm 90:1,2)
“ Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8)
Psalm 102:11, 12
OUR GOD IS WORTHY OF TRUST
“Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.” (Hebrews 10:23)
“Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.” (Deuteronomy 7:9)
1. Skim through or recall the story of the Exodus, Israel’s deliverance from Egypt to the Promised Land. How long did it take? How did the people respond to the changes in their circumstances?
2. In what ways did the Israelites experience God’s faithfulness?
3. Think about the most significant changes in your life (e.g. getting married, having children, getting/losing a job, moving, illness or debility). How long did it take to adjust to the change? How did you respond?
4. How did you experience God’s faithfulness during those times of change?
5. If you are a parent, how does your love manifest itself to your children? How is that a reflection of God’s faithfulness?
6. Use a Bible concordance and look up and spend time meditating on the words “steadfast,” “faithful,” and “eternal.”