“In matters of faith, Luther said that Christians should be:”
- invincible, unbending and stubborn
- tolerant and open-minded
- humble and sweet
“Truth Decay” – John 14:15-21; Ephesians 4:11-16
Read the signs
In our “post-modern” world tolerance is considered more valuable than truth.
When truth is missing we shouldn’t be surprised at growth of immorality, idolatry and injustice.
Truth is present and can be discovered
God’s nature, will and attributes are hidden in plain sight.
Expect to discover divine truth through your conscience, the commandments and clearly in Christ.
The care and handling of truth
Believe it, Do it, Stand for it, Spread it!
- What are some of the ways truth decay is similar to tooth decay?
- What are some of the reasons it makes no sense to say that all ideas are equally valid? (For example- the moon is made out of cheese vs. the moon is made out of rock)
- How and why do you think the definition of tolerance (treating someone politely even though you disagreed with them) got changed to having to accept another’s beliefs or be considered intolerant and judgmental?
- What happens when we value tolerance more than truth?
- What are some examples of how Jesus offered a model for how to rightly exercise tolerance without sacrificing truth?
- Jesus said truth would set us free, he didn’t’ say tolerance would set us free. Why?
- How would your life be different if you had a healthier balance between truth and tolerance?